The Union Free School District in Seaford, a lively village of 500 residents in 1893, voted $3,500 that year for the construction of a school. This was Seaford’s third schoolhouse and was dedicated on Arbor Day in 1894. The building, originally constructed on Jackson and Waverly Avenues, served as a school until 1917, when the school board decided that the district had outgrown its present quarters.
On the opening of the Jackson Avenue school in 1921, the building was moved a block away and became the headquarters for the Seaford Fire Department. On July 4, 1976, in commemoration of the Nation’s Bicentennial, the structure, now located on Waverly Avenue between Jackson and Southward was dedicated as the Seaford Historical Museum.
The Museum houses much memorabilia of Seaford as a bay and farming town. Special loans from other museums and private collections will be displayed on a rotating basis. Contributions of a Financial or Historical nature are welcome.